The number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the Philippines has climbed to 13,597 on Friday after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 163 new infections.
So far, 92 more patients have recovered from the virus, which brings the total to 3,092, while the death toll increased to 857 with 11 new deaths.
Currently, there are a total 9,648 active cases.
As of the new COVID-19 cases, 91 patients or 56 percent are from the National Capital Region, 56 patients or 34 percent are from Region 7, and 16 patients or 10 percent are from other areas.
As Health officials apologized for announcing that the second wave of infection has arrived, the chief implementer of the national policy against COVID-19 on Friday raised fear it could come from overseas Filipino workers arriving from affected areas.
According to Carlito Galvez, Jr., the government is preparing for the possibility of a new spike in COVID-19 cases in some areas that may come from the influx of OFWs from countries like the United States, Italy, Spain, and parts of the Middle East.
Previously, the DOH said there are 97 confirmed COVID-19 cases among foreign nationals in the Philippines as of Thursday.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said, of this, 32 are Chinese nationals, 13 Americans, five Japanese, four Taiwanese, four Indians, and 39 other nationalities.
60 of the cases are currently confined or isolated while 21 have recovered and eight have died due to the virus.
What can you say about this? Share it below.