DSWD Educational Assistance: Who Can Avail?


Last Saturday, the Department of Social Welfare and Development started giving poor students cash help, inspiring thousands of individuals to go to regional offices around the country.

The following people may be able to receive financial help for education under Memorandum Circular No. 2019-11:

  • Victims of displacement or abuse
  • Breadwinners
  • Children of Overseas Filipinos
  • Children of unemployed parents
  • Those who are in crisis brought about by human induced or natural calamities

The definition of “students-in-crisis” has been expanded by succeeding MCs, such as Memorandum Circular 2022-015 released by Social Welfare Secretary Erwin Tulfo, to include:

  • Children of solo parents
  • Working students
  • PWDs
  • Children of rebel returnees or of Persons Deprived of Liberty
  • Children living with HIV, or who are children of People Living with HIV

Candidates for educational assistance must still provide a current school ID and confirmation of enrollment.

Although the AICS does not specify who defines an indigent, different but similar definitions of indigency are used by government agencies and programs that provide services to the country’s poor.

Unfortunately, 4Ps beneficiaries are disqualified for the educational assistance that the DSWD will be distributing since they already receive subsidies under the program.

Leave a Comment