A Puerto Rican judge has revoked a restraining order against actor and musician Ricky Martin at the request of the man who claimed earlier this month that the pop legend had harassed him, according to attorneys for Martin.
In a domestic violence complaint, the man stated that he was worried for his safety because Martin refused to accept his choice to discontinue a romantic relationship, continued contacting him, and loitered outside his home.
“This was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with nothing to substantiate them,” Martin’s attorneys stated in a statement released on his Twitter account alongside the words “Truth prevails.”
In a previous phone conversation, one of the lawyers, Joaquin Monserrate, stated that the man’s attorney began Thursday’s session by demanding that Judge Raiza Cajigas dismiss the case.
“The judge asked the pertinent questions – if anyone had threatened him, if anyone had offered him anything in exchange – and (his lawyer) said no, that it was a voluntary decision,” Monserrate stated.
The attorney representing the man, whose identity has not been revealed due to domestic violence restrictions, could not be reached for comment.
Martin, who came to prominence in the 1990s with singles such as “Livin’ La Vida Loca,” said on Twitter on July 3 that the injunction was obtained based on “totally bogus charges.”